i know, it's an easy one. but here's some pictures...
first, i thought i had quite a good dash. only two cracks:
so i cleaned everything thoroughly:
new cap waiting to be installed:
after letting everything dry, i took a closer look at the cracks. and found that the dash has a cap already in place!
after ripping it off, there's a dash definitely 37 years old:
the old owner had made a mistake by putting the adhesive everywhere on the dash. the instructions clearly point out that the adhesive should only be applied to the outer areas, and not in the middle. when the dash heats up in the midday sun, this might cause cracks in the cap. so i applied the adhesive in a nice criss-cross pattern:
and put the cap into place and let everything dry!